Women’s World Cup – Thank You Lionesses
Inspiring women’s football in Dorset!
The England Women's national team have inspired a generation following their performance at the Women's World Cup in France. The team showed great passion and commitment throughout the tournament, and were unlucky not to reach their first World Cup Final after losing to the current World Champions in the semi-final stages.
All the England women's players have become instant role models to young girls around the country that now aspire to be just like their idols. Never before have women footballers become instantly recognisable on parallel with their male counterparts. The impact that the Lionesses have had on increasing grassroots participation in football is being felt all around the country. Locally within Dorset the lionesses are continuing to inspire with female engagement on the rise.
On Sunday 9th June 60 women of all ages and abilities came together at The Specsavers County Ground, Hamworthy, to celebrate the opening England Lionesses game of the FIFA Women’s World Cup. Players took part in skills sessions and small sided friendly games with experienced club players playing alongside players brand new to the game and the event bringing together mainstream, ability counts and walking football players. Delivered by Dorset FA’s Football Development Activator, Grant Smith, the event was followed by the screening of the England v Scotland World Cup fixture. Thanks to all the women who came along and enjoyed the afternoon of football!
Following the launch festival, weekly sessions have been offered at The Specsavers County Ground including mums and daughters training and skills sessions for women new to the game. With a steady increase in uptake at both sessions we will now be offering ongoing mums and daughters sessions and skills sessions open to all aged 16+. For more details please contact email@example.com.
In Dorset, we aim to ensure a football offer for anyone who is keen to get playing so if the Women’s World Cup has inspired you to think about playing or volunteering in football then please do get in touch! Here are a just some of the opportunities to get involved in female football in Dorset:
- Dorset Women’s League – weekly matches throughout the season
- Recreational Division (Women’s) – monthly matches with flexibility in the format
- Ability Counts League – inclusive league across Dorset
- Dorset Youth League – girls divisions from Under 9 – Under 18
- SSE Wildcats – weekly turn up and play sessions for girls only aged 5 – 11
- Weekly mums and daughter sessions
- Weekly skills sessions for women
- Girls Advanced Coaching Centre – for Under 12 – Under 16
- Futsal – national Futsal cup county competition
- Football Development Activator – free coaching sessions at your club, school or community group
- Female coach bursaries
- Female referee opportunities
Questions on any of the above? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org